Thursday, November 7, 2013

Casey County, Kentucky

Casey County, Kentucky

One of my hobbies is researching my family tree.  I first went through the Choate line, with much help from rootsweb, to their American arrival in 1676, then back several generation in England.  I found Choate ancestors, from Tennessee, who served in our country's wars from the Civil through WWII.  While this was interesting, what truly grabbed my attention, was Casey County's role in history, when I started researching my other family lines.

We moved from Bush Hog (McFarland) Ridge in Casey County, to Indiana, while I was a child.  Even though we moved north, I missed the hills of home and would head back every summer.  Though I have always loved Casey, I never truly appreciated its historic significance until I started researching my family tree.

My grandfather, Kit Choate, married Dorothy Bell Allen.  Her family extends back to Benjamin Allen.  While young I visited the Allen Cemetery and noticed the old grave stone from 1826, but did not realize how significant it was. 

Benjamin Allen first appeared on the Lincoln County, Kentucky census of 1790.  This area was to become part of Casey County, when it was formed in 1806.  He must have been a very influential man; he raised and commanded a unit of the Virginia Militial in the Revolutionary war, for which he was awarded 1000 acres in Casey County.  The old Allen Cemetery where his body resides was part of the original grant, and the farm that surrounds it is still owned by an Allen.

Grandma Miller was a Hughes.  Her great-grandfather, Calvin George Hughes, was a soldier during the Civil War who died in Casey County.  He is buried in the Lebanon National Cemetery.  His wife and son moved to Casey County.  Calvin's grandson, Grandma's uncle, joined the Army and died in France in 1918, during WWI.

Grandma Miller's mother was a Coffman.  Her great-grandfather, Thomas Kauffman Coffman, enlisted on July 28, 1862, in Casey County and served in Company I 8th Kentucky Volunteers.  He died at Clarksville, TN, in 1863.  Thomas' grandfather Jacob  Kauffman Coffman was from Virginia and served in the Revolutionary War from April, 1777 - 1782.  He was take prisoner at the battle of Eutaw Spring, South Carolina.  He also served in the battles of Monmouth, New Jersey, July 1778; Shamong, NJ; and New Point, VA, October 1781, where Cornwallis surrendered.  Jacob moved to Casey County in 1817.

Grandma's paternal grandmother was Mary Elizabeth "Mollie Crockett."  She was born in Casey County and was a second cousin to Davy Crockett.  Her grandfather, Robert Crockett, was from Frederick County, Virginia, and had his own distinguished history in the Revolutionary War.  He served from 1776 to 1782, and was in the Battle of Kings Mountain.  He moved to Kentucky in 1800.

My uncle David Miller served in Viet Nam, and Grandpa Dave Miller was a sharpshooter in WWII.  Grandpa was part of the Normandy Beech, D-Day Invasion.  Grandpa's gg-grandfather moved to Kentucky after the Revolutionary War.  He served in the war from 1778 to 1784.


I have not finished researching all of my Casey County family branches, and probably will find may other fascinating members.  I find it amazing how a small central Kentucky county has proven to be both a magnet. that drew heroes, as well as a well of patriotism, from which the country has drawn time and again.

3 comments:

  1. Have you seen what I have added about the Crockett family on the Casey County roots web page. Mollie Crockett Hughes was a great great aunt of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that makes us sixth cousins, then. :-)

      Delete
    2. I will check out your info on the Crockett family.

      Delete