Sunday, November 3, 2013

Raising the Dead

Raising the Dead

I am attempting to persuade my father to give me more details of his years growing up.  I think this material would either be great for a book in its own right, or he would be an excellent example to use for  a character in a novel. 

He quit school in the sixth grade to work two farms for the family.  When he was fifteen he ran off to Michigan and made his way as a cook in a logging camp.  At seventeen he forged his father's signature and went into the Army.  While I was young he worked as a powder man, using dynamite and nitroglycerin to blast the way for highways.

From what his siblings tell me, he was a pistol growing up.  I wrote about him putting a skunk in his one room school house; but my favorite story is when he and a friend a friend attended a local funeral.  An old hunchbacked man had died, and as they did in those days, the funeral was held at his home.  After placing him in the casket, they had strapped him down so that he lay flat in the pine box.

It was a hot summer afternoon and the windows were all open, and the country folk mostly did without screens.  They hadn't embalmed the gentleman, so the casket had been placed in front of a window at the back of the house. 

Dad and his friend had sneaked around to the window, from the outside.  Whenever the preacher led the guests in prayer, Dad or his friend would reach inside the window and cut on the strap holding the body down.  The prayers ended before they could complete the cut so they gave up trying. 

They went around and into the house to join in the service.  Many people stood up and spoke of the man giving him a fine eulogy.  During the seventh or eighth such speech, there was a loud "SNAP!"  Everyone turned toward the casket, as the body sat strait up.


People screamed and ran, some going through doors and others diving through the windows.  The way Dad tells it, some are probably running still.  I still laugh whenever I remember him telling that story.  I like fiction, but the best stories are usually true.

No comments:

Post a Comment